Victory Apartments Preservation Project
Affordable Rental Housing in Chicago’s Humboldt Park, Logan Square & West Town Communities
Victory Apartments is a 100% Project-Based Section 8 development that consists of 107 affordable units consisting of one, two, three, four, and five bedrooms, in nine vintage, multi-family buildings in the Humboldt Park and West Town communities.
Bickerdike completed the rehabilitation of the buildings in 1990 after an intensive organizing campaign to push the State of Illinois to fund its first affordable housing development in our community, and it is named for the Victory of that campaign.
In May of 2019, Victory Apartments received funding from the Illinois Housing Development Authority to carry out a second round of renovations, which will take two years. Work will be done in all units, and residents will be temporarily relocated. We anticipate a completion date of 2022.
The scope of work will include:
- New flooring throughout the building (common areas and units)
- New kitchen cabinets, sinks, countertops, and appliances
- New bathroom cabinets, tubs, and toilets
- New HVAC system, including the installation of central air conditioning
- New doors and door hardware
- Structural repairs, masonry work, and tuck-pointing
- Improved landscaping and fencing
- Window repairs and replacements
- New LED lighting
- Installation of new security cameras